Elena's Reviews > Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews

Apr 09, 12

Read in April, 2012

Look at this book’s cover, doesn’t it tell you it is FUN and full of joy?! Not exactly what you would expect from a “cancer” book but this book is not your typical cancer book. In fact, it’s like the antithesis of one (The Fault in Our Stars, I’m looking at you) and right off the bat, Greg Gaines tells you, “This book contains precisely zero Important Life Lessons, or Little-Known Facts About Love, or sappy tear-jerking Moments We Knew We Had Left Our Childhood Behind For Good, or whatever.” Jesse Andrews’ writing is very easy to read and Greg’s voice really shines. He’s hilarious, an oddball, and wholly original. Love the supporting characters too, it was refreshingly real and people I can actually imagine existing in real life. This book has a really crass, screwball comedy sense of humour which I’m generally not a fan of (delicate sensibilities and all that) but I still found myself laughing out loud at this book at certain parts of this book. Also, it has puns! Especially cat puns like Cat Stevens, which is the best name for a cat.

One of my favourite aspects of this book was Greg and Earl’s film making adventures which reminded me of Be Kind Rewind. They like the weird, artsy films where nothing makes sense and it all ends in despair like I do! Shout outs to Godard and David Lynch, be still my heart. I really enjoyed their unconventional friendship. I like that Earl was so unorthodox, he’s a vertically challenged easily angered gangster who has a good heart and likes Withnail and I. You don’t meet a character like that every day. Again, I really like how realistic these characters are. It’s honest and I appreciated that they weren’t just fictional characters but characters you can really imagine in the real world. Another thing I liked was that the design of the front cover carries throughout the book, the way they did the chapter headings was awesome.

I give major props to Jesse Andrews for subverting the cancer book trope and giving us an engaging read that offers us entertainingly honest characters.

Originally posted at Novel Sounds .

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me and Earl and the Dying Girl.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mimi (new) - added it

Mimi Valentine I want to read this book so badly! Next to The Fault in Our Stars, it's one of the top cancer books dominating my TBR pile :) Beautiful review, Elena! <3

message 2: by Elena (new) - added it

Elena Haha, that should be an interesting experience because they're complete opposites from each other! I know you'll love TFiOS and it will make you CRY. I also think once you look past some of the grosser humour in Me & Earl & the Dying Girl (I skimmed a bit), it's enjoyable!