Laurian's Reviews > The Web Designer's Idea Book: The Ultimate Guide to Themes, Trends & Styles in Website Design

The Web Designer's Idea Book by Patrick McNeil

Apr 13, 12

bookshelves: ux
Read from April 08 to 12, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

This is 1/2 of this months UX book club read at my company. I found it when I was at Powells a few months ago and thought it would server as a useful tool when I get stuck while doing design. I often find myself just unhappy with what I'm producing because it is the same thing over and over again. This is fine for creating a consistent look-and-feel across a spectrum of products, but it can also mean that what I'm doing is derivative and not staying up-to-date. And, lord knows, the US government doesn't need anymore dated software products.

This book is exactly what is promises. It is filled to the brim with beautiful pictures of websites. I don't always agree with the categories, but that really isn't the point. It allows for the plethora of web design to be presented in a meaningful way that isn't overwhelming.

I really enjoyed this book and know I will be returning to it regularly. I also look forward to Vol 2, which is in my book bag right now ready to be read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Web Designer's Idea Book.

04/08/2012 page 114

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meg (new)

Meg I sort of need a book of web design ideas/pictures to just page through so some people at work can start having conversations about what designs they like and dislike. Is this a good one to buy? p.s. I'm totally stalking your book list.