James's Reviews > Time's Arrow

M 50x66
Apr 08, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read in June, 2009

Martin Amis is a genius. This is a brilliant, unique book. You may say, ‘oh this is just American hyperbole’. Which may appear doubly inappropriate when applied to a British author - an author of whom the British might bestow the moniker ‘good’, or dare I say it, ‘very good’. I jest, this book was nominated for the Booker Award. The Brits love this guy, and rightly so.

I would rank this book as one of the top ten books I have read. I would love to discuss it, but I think it would be a shame to disclose one iota of the story. Don’t read other reviews and don’t read the back cover - it might give something away. I read the book because it was assigned to me for a class. I did not read reviews or the back cover before I started. I then showed the book to my wife when I was part way through. In doing so, I read a piece of information on the back cover that would have been better left a mystery (a pox on the New York Times reviewer). It diminished my enthrallment but a tiny speck.

What more can I say? Well frankly, lots, but I’ll leave it at that.

Oh, wait, one more thing - I plan to read every Amis book that has been published. It was that good.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Time's Arrow.