jenjn79's Reviews > Sunrise Point

Sunrise Point by Robyn Carr

Apr 29, 12

bookshelves: author-robyn-carr, series-virgin-river, bought-walmart, format-mmp, condition-new, published-2012, genre-romance-drama, 2012, info-full, reviewed, stars-4-5, theme-small-town, theme-single-mother
Recommended to jenjn79 by: continuation of a series
Read from April 28 to 29, 2012, read count: 1

It's a Virgin River novel, so you know going in it's going to be fantastic in some way. And it was.

Series Note:
19th book in Robyn Carr's "Virgin River" series about a small town set in the mountains of California and the struggles they deal with. I don't think you have to read the other first for this book, but really, this is an awesome series and you really should start at the beginning.

Summary:
Nora Crane has had a tough life, especially the last few years after her lose addict boyfriend dumped her in the small town of Virgin River with two small children. She struggled to just survive, but with the help of the townspeople, she managed. She's just starting to get her life turned in the right direction and when she hears about a possible job picking apples at the local apple farm, she is determined to get it.

When Nora walks in, looking for a job, Tom Cavanaugh isn't inclined to hire someone so small...and beautiful, but his grandmother convinces him to give Nora a chance. And it works out better than he could have expected. The two soon develop a friendship. Tom fights his attraction to Nora...she's not at all the type of woman he is looking for. And for Nora, though she is attracted to Tom, she has more on her plate to worry about. Like getting her life back together, which is complicated by the sudden reappearance of her father in her life. But will their attraction to each other prove to be more than they can resist?

Review:
I've read every Virgin River book and I think reviewed most or all of them. So it's a bit hard to find a new way to come at a review for one of the VR books.

I think one of the greatest things about this series is that even when one of the books is lacking in some way, the book is still fantastic. Most romance books that have some aspect that comes up short end up being average or just above average reads. Not books in this series. Whenever one has been a little off in one area, the book has still been awesome.

And I found that to be the case with this book. There was one aspect as I was reading and as I finished that I wished had been done better, but I still absolutely loved the book. It still made me smile, I still couldn't put it down, and when I got to the end, I wished there was still more to read.

So what did I wish had been a little better? The romance. It's very very slow in developing. It really isn't until you get near the end of the book that the two actually connect in a romantic way. Until that point, they have a friendship with Tom considering a relationship with someone else. I understand the buildup, but I think the romance could have developed sooner. Most of the book just focuses on the friendship but then you get to a point near the end and the romance just kinda explodes. It was just a little off for me.

Like I said, though, it doesn't take away much from how great the book is. Everything else about the story is fantastic. I enjoyed both characters. Nora is an awesome heroine and so fitting for a heroine in this series. She's got grit to have gone through what she has. I don't think I'd have managed to be as strong and determined as she was. Tom was pretty cool, but he's not one of the best heroes from this series. The friendship that develops between the two is great (even if the romance takes a bit too long to develop)

I also really enjoyed the storyline aspect where Nora reconnects with her estranged father. It was a heartwarming part of the story to read about and I think it was a great addition to the story.

And like always, there's a great supporting cast. You don't get quite as much of the series regulars like Jack, Mel, Preacher, etc, as you do in past books, but you still get you fix of the crew. And it's always a joy to get to catch up with those guys. They are some of the most memorable characters I've ever read about.

There's also a little bit about a new character, Coop, who is a friend of Luke's and who has a surprising connection to Jack. It was intriguing and I found Coop to be a very interesting character. Initially, I thought Coop would end up being a hero in a future Virgin River book, but after reading some comments from Carr in a website interview, I'm not so sure. It appears he me be a character used to spin-off the VR series into a new series. Which would make me sad. I don't want the VR series to end. I'm tempted to make a comment about something from this book relating to the series possibly being at an end, but I know there is at least one more book, a Christmas story coming out in Nov 2012 so I'm going to withhold that comment until I read that book.

Vrigin River fans will most likely love this book, though. It's exactly what you've come to expect from Carr for a book in this series. It's heartwarming, chock full of fantastic characters, has a great storyline, and it's a story that you wish didn't have to end. All things that make up a wonderful book. Sure, I wish the romance had developed quicker, but it hardly made a dent in how much I enjoyed the book. It would take a lot for a VR book to be only average. This one? Definitely well above average.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sunrise Point.

04/28/2012 page 378
100.0% "*sigh* this series just never disappoints me. Yet another wonderful addition to this series. And with the new character, Coop, introduced it leaves us hope the series will continue. Finished 4/28/12. 4 stars. Maybe 4.5-5. I'm undecided as yet."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Vicki Great review, I felt the same way about the romance, I would have preferred it to be a little earlier.

I didn't know that about Coop, I figured he would be a future hero too.

jenjn79 Thanks Vicki!

Just the way she introduced Coop made me feel like he'd be a future hero. But then I read comments suggesting that the VR series was almost done and a spin-off would occur so I'm thinking she'll get to Coop doing that.