Jim's Reviews > Guilty Pleasures

Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton

Feb 17, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, paranormal-urban, favorites, series, 1paper
Read from February 14 to 16, 2012

Old review 2007: The world is ours today, except vampires, werewolves & such all exist & are legally recognized. Anita Blake is a tough gal who has a talent for raising zombies. She gets sucked in to paranormal politics & murder mysteries. Great fun to read. I love her character.

This started me & my daughter reading 'Paranormal Romance' (PNR) books & this was one of her best. There are 15 20 or so books in the series & I like the first 5 or 10 the best. After that, Hamilton puts in too much weird sex - BDSM & such. Not my cup of tea & there's enough of it that it detracts from the story - a common failing in the genre, I've found. I don't mind some sex & in some cases, it is needed, but it gets somewhat excessive.

Reread for group 14Feb2012: It's been a long time since I read this book & I wondered if I would like it as well, especially given how Hamilton has abused the series in the last 10 books. It stood up well. I still liked it a lot.

Hamilton draws the world quickly & well. It's our except for a few quirks, so that wasn't terribly difficult. She draws the characters well, too. I felt I knew most of them shortly after meeting them, with some obvious exceptions. (view spoiler)

There was plenty of action &, while Anita is a kick-ass heroine, she's all too human. She's rightly terrified most of the time. I must say that I didn't feel her terror very well at the end, although I did in the earlier parts. Hamilton tells us she is, but there isn't a visceral feel of it. Possibly that's because so much happens so fast.

Anyway, this is an excellent introduction to Anita's world & the next 8 or 9 books are also very good. I highly recommend the earlier parts of the series to anyone. While the books can be read out of order, they're definitely better if read in order. Once you get to feeling that Hamilton's head is disappearing up her vagina, stop reading the series. Trust me, it just gets worse - far worse.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guilty Pleasures.