Kat's Reviews > Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil: A Savannah Story

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt

Apr 08, 12

It was okay, I guess. The characters in Savannah were much more interesting than the author's coverage of the trial itself, though.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.

message 1: by Kat (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kat Berry wrote: "I kept expecting SOMETHING to happen. and for the author to remember he actually had a job in NYC."

I guess that was the biggest issue: when the actual plot conflict happened, it didn't feel like anything actually HAPPENED. It was so understated. As for the job thing, I figured he gave it up to spend the rest of his days perpetually drinking in the South.

Kitrina I think that part of the problem with the book was that the author tried to avoid making himself a character within his own book. Because he was actively participating and interacting with these people, but minimizing his role when writing events it made everything more distant and removed than it would have in the hands of another writer.
Also he summarized events that happened over YEARS as though it took place over a few months.

Good character study book for a creative writing course. Bad book for an example on how to write plot.