Jon's Reviews > The Most Dangerous Thing

The Most Dangerous Thing by Laura Lippman

Apr 08, 12

I saw the author on Craig Ferguson the other night, and she seemed smart and reasonable. She also said that "the most dangerous thing" is finally revealed in the last sentence of the book. That sounded like careful planning to me, so I thought I'd give it a try. She told the truth--it IS revealed in the last sentence. Trouble is, nobody, including the reader, was asking the question. I counted at least 13 major characters in this book, each major enough to get at least one chapter told from his/her point of view. Several chapters are also told in first person (we thought that...) as if the author were included in the set of five close, close friends around whom the story revolves. But the "we" was never explained, and I wonder if it was just an artifact of an earlier draft of the book. There is much extraneous detail, apropos of nothing in particular, and the central horrifying event is only hinted at and gingerly circled around for so long that I lost interest. There are a couple of red herrings that had me partially interested for a while, but essentially this is a mystery with no clear mystery and a thriller with no thrills.
12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Most Dangerous Thing.

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 6: by Nikki (new)

Nikki I've enjoyed her series novels, but have been less than impressed with her stand-alone "thrillers." Sounds like this is another of those that I could skip.

Ellen Mandly Good review Jon - you summed up my thoughts exactly. Not nearly as good as her Tess Monahan series.

Laura This is also how I felt about this novel. Good review.

Louise This review hit the nail on the head. I only gave one star because I regret the valuable time I wasted reading this book.

message 2: by Kerry (new) - added it

Kerry I am familiar with her and just put this on hold at the library, but with your well said review I might just move on to another, I don't have time.

Sher Marie Amen, you said it. This is my first time reading her books. The best part about this book was recognizing the places and events referenced, being that i work in "Ballimore". The story being told in a voice that suggests the teller was an active player in the lives of the 5 baffles me.