Tammi's Reviews > Here

Here by Denise Grover Swank

Apr 08, 12

Read in February, 2012

How would it make you feel knowing that you were driving the car that killed your best friend? That is what happened to Julia Phillips. Her best friend, Monica, was in the car when they got into an accident and she died. Julia doesn’t remember what happened in the accident. She has doubts as to who caused it. This has haunted Julia, not allowing her to do things. Her reaction to Monica dying has caused her to shut everything out. This causes a major rift in her family and makes things difficult for them.

As if things aren’t bad enough for Julia, her counselor at school threatens to send her to an alternative school if she doesn’t bring her grades up and turn herself around. She has to have a tutor to make up all the work that she has missed since Monica’s death. She never expected who the tutor would be. Evan Whittaker is the one who is arranged to be her tutor. He is acting strange towards her. Normally, he wouldn’t give her the time of day, but now he is all concerned about her and not caring about things that were previously important to him. Then there is Reece, the new kid who just came back from the alternative school.

Strange things are happening in Julia’s life that she doesn’t understand. Like where did the bracelet come from? After the accident, she mysteriously was found wearing a bracelet that said “Love endures forever.” Why has she been doodling Evan’s name ever since the accident? What is this strange connection to Reece and why is Evan being nice to her?

When I first started reading this book, I wasn’t too sure that I would like it. I was wrong. I liked how this book kept you in suspense until the end. I never really knew what was going to happen next. It surprised me to the end.

On the Cover is a girl in a white dress standing in a pond in the woods. You can see two figures off in the distance. The color scheme of the cover is black and white. I liked the cover. It was initially what drew me to review this book.

I Like:

•Julia Phillips. Her reaction to the death of her friend is like that of anyone in her circumstance would be. She doesn’t understand what happened and why she was the one to survive and not Monica. She tries to be better in the book and starts interacting with her family more.

•Evan Whittaker. The new Evan. The one that is nice to Julia and tutors her. Yes, it is strange that he changed, but I like the changes.

• Reece. You get to know a little about Reece in the story and find out that he is a funny guy. He came back from the alternative school before Julia finds out that she is being sent there. He gives Julia some pointers.

I Did Not Like:

•Julia’s family. Okay, this isn’t really a “not like,” but I didn’t know where else to put this. I can realize what the driving force is behind some of the decisions that her mom and father make, I just don’t understand them.

• Some of the other people in the town. I don’t want to say too much and give the story away, but I did not like them.

• Sarah Chapman. She is the popular girl in school.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Here.