Ruthie's Reviews > Surprised by Joy: The Shape of My Early Life

Surprised by Joy by C.S. Lewis

F_50x66
Apr 08, 12

Read in March, 2012

This was one of the best books I've ever read. And that may be a completely personal statement. You may not feel the same way after reading this book.

I love the way C.S. Lewis thinks and the way he communicates those thoughts. I'm fascinated by the story of his life. I've read many of his books (fiction and non) and three or four biographies of C.S. Lewis. Surprised by Joy surprised me by being another biography, but written in C.S. Lewis' own words, with his own sense of humor, and his concise way of summing up a thought process. (I probably shouldn't have been surprised by this - but since his wife's name was Joy, I always assumed this book was about their relationship, and the later part of his life. She wasn't even mentioned.)

C.S. Lewis used the word joy to describe moments throughout his life that were (in my words) a blissful feeling of desire for something greater than himself. They were moments, almost like a small peek into heaven, that he chased after, tried to recreate, and eventually realized were almost a constant in the life of a believer.

Surprised by Joy is the story of Lewis' life, but mostly the story of his constant search for truth, and the steps that led him to the conclusion that Jesus is truth. I hope to someday read this again and understand all of his reasoning. I'd love to have half the capacity of that man's mind...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Surprised by Joy.