Audrey's Reviews > On the Banks of Plum Creek

On the Banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls Wilder

I loved this book! I am currently rereading the entire Little House series, which I have not visited since I was a kid. I feel like the books just keep getting better. Since it had been such a long time since I read this, I had forgotten most of the plot and, consequently, it was almost like reading this for the first time.

I was left with a few unanswered questions. For example:(view spoiler)

The girls are growing up in this, and Laura especially tests her boundaries a bit more than in the previous books. Sometimes Mary and Laura are downright naughty, but I think that makes the stories more realistic...and of course they usually come to see the consequences of their actions. (view spoiler)

I loved the attention to detail (everything from Ma opening a letter with a hairpin to the joy accompanying a long-anticipated rain), the description, and emotion that just sweeps you into this family's life in such a personal way. I feel like Wilder is really an excellent writer, and her style really makes me feel like I am there on the prairie with the Ingallses. I also love how their pioneer spirit really shines through. In the midst of so many ups and downs they always find a way to keep up hope and to keep moving forward. It's inspiring!

{Listened on audio book narrated by Cherry Jones.}

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Banks of Plum Creek.

Kristin Isn't it amazing to reread the series for the first time in a long time? I did that last year. :)

Audrey Yeah, I'm really enjoying it. :)