Rosy's Reviews > The List

Apr 21, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult
Read on April 21, 2012

I thought the premise of this book was really interesting (though slightly horrifying), but as with too many other books, it could have been done so much better. I was engrossed up until the last fifty or so pages, at which point it started to turn bizarre, and the ending did not provide resolution for any of the eight main characters.

Probably my biggest issue was how unrealistic the whole thing seemed to be. I can't fathom an official list of the prettiest and ugliest girls popping up at my high school, and if it did, I can only assume that most of the student body-- and the teachers, at the very least-- would be up in arms. Maybe this kind of thing does happen at other high schools (and I know it does happen all the time in more subtle ways) but at the very least, I would think someone would try to put a stop to it.

Overall, I thought The List was a missed opportunity for a multitude of real issues-- bullying, stereotyping, eating disorders, insecurity and more-- to be presented and analyzed in a fresh and powerful way. Three stars for readability, but I'm not sure I would recommend it specially.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The List.