Pamela's Reviews > A Land More Kind Than Home

A Land More Kind Than Home by Wiley Cash

Apr 08, 2012

it was ok
Read from April 06 to 08, 2012

Here are just a few of the clichés in this book:

1. Egomaniacal preacher who is heavily into snakes, poison, and, of course, selected ladies of his congregation
2. Kind and loving father who was abused by his father
3. Father of the above (grandfather of child character) just happens to return at just the right moment.
4. Woman raised in the backwoods who speaks as the "conscience" of the book
5. Sheriff with a lot of common sense, a painful experience in the past, and ennui....don't forget the ennui...lots and lots of ennui.

Well, you get the idea. But while you are getting that idea, don't get the idea that this book is a waste of time. It's an enjoyable read. But that's about it. Enjoyable. Definitely nothing that all the 4 and 5 star reviews would lead you to believe.

I'm hoping that Mr. Cash's next effort can live to up at least part of the hype generated by this book.

Now that would be a book worth reading!
11 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Land More Kind Than Home.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Pamela,

Thanks for the review of my book. I wish you'd enjoyed it more. Perhaps you'll like the next one better. Regardless, thanks so much for taking the time to write a review. Stuff like that means a lot to a debut author like me.

Wiley