Candace (Lovey Dovey Books)'s Reviews > The Dream Slayer

The Dream Slayer by Jill  Cooper

Oct 10, 12

Read in May, 2012

Originally posted on Lovey Dovey Books

Action, adventure and surprisingly, romance, fills the pages of Jill Cooper's debut YA novel, The Dream Slayer. Its sarcastic and down-to-earth characters will keep readers entertained and begging for The Dream Slayer's sequel, Demon Royale to hit shelves immediately!

Natalie Johnson is in no way the average heroine. With the ability to dream an alternate dimension, in which she's a slayer of evil, 'dorky' Nat has much more to live for than she believes. In Nat's dream world she's confident and always says and acts the right way. In real life, though, she's bullied and abused with only one friend always on her side, Tristan Miller.

The story actually switches between parallel dimensions, but at first I couldn't recognize the transitions. Further along in the book the two Natalie's become more distinct in their actions and ways of speaking so that I was able to navigate the scenes more clearly. I didn't think I would like having to consider Natalie as two separate identities, but I enjoyed seeing the two sides of the young heroine because it showed the growth that the real Natalie endured. The dream slayer Natalie is feisty and determined, while on the other hand, the real Natalie is scared of her own shadow, clumsy, and plagued by low self-esteem.

Under all the fast-paced fighting scenes and humor, Jill Cooper manages to build strength in our heroine and ultimately, give readers a reason to put faith in Natalie Johnson. I don't know if I've written enough words to convey how addictive this world Jill Cooper has created is. The Dream Slayer is a read any young adult to adult readers will absolutely enjoy.

*Book provided by author in exchange for an honest review*
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dream Slayer.