Caroline McMaster's Reviews > The Glimpse

The Glimpse by Claire Merle

May 04, 2012

bookshelves: dystopian-or-future, arc, reviewed
Read from May 01 to 02, 2012

I was able to get this before publication through Netgalley! I was so excited when I was approved.
When I started this book, I was a little bored. I didn't really get into it until about halfway through. When I did, though, I couldn't stop reading.

In Ana's world, the Crazies live in the crowded, horrific City, while the Pures live in the gated Community. The Crazies are mentally diseased- schizophrenics, depressed, those with anxiety. Pures are free of these "mutations". Ana is a Pure. Sort of. At the age of fifteen, it was discovered that an error in her DNA test caused the fact that she isn't completely Pure to be overlooked. She makes a deal with the government- if she is joined(married) by 18, then she will be allowed to stay in the Community until her disease manifests. Jasper, the boy she was to be joined with, promises to stay with her.

When Jasper suddenly disappears, Ana's life is thrown into turmoil. In order to rescue him, she sneaks into the City in search of answers. It is there where she discovers the truth and reason of Jasper's disappearance. The DNA test, the wardens, and life as they know it may all be a lie. Everything in her life changes when she meets Lila and her brother, Cole. He has seen a "glimpse" of the future, and Ana is the focus.

Ana goes through a lot in the book and changes extremely. She went from being a sheltered Pure, scared of the Crazies and the City as a whole, to wanting to escape the Community to reveal the truths of the DNA tests and find Cole. Overall, she's a great character. I feel SO BAD for Jasper. The poor guy. (view spoiler) Tamsin, Cole, and Lila all make it on my list of favorite characters. Lila makes me laugh, Tamsin is inspiring and Cole is just.. Cole. Love him!

Other than the beginning of the story, not much bothered me. The plot got interesting, especially when we got to the mental institution and towards the end, (view spoiler) I can't wait to see what happens next in the story. I hope the Enlightenment Project is interesting!

(4 out of 5 stars)

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Glimpse.

05/01/2012
52.0% "ehh.. I'm already halfway through and truthfully it hasn't caught my interest yet. I mean, its okay, but not something I would read again. Maybe it'll get better; I cant be so judgmental without finishing..."