Savannah's Reviews > Dust and Shadow: An Account of the Ripper Killings by Dr. John H. Watson

Dust and Shadow by Lyndsay Faye

Apr 29, 2012

bookshelves: alternate-history, fanfic, fiction, friendship, librarybook, mystery, sherlock
Read from April 07 to 25, 2012 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** Lovely. Good Doylish tone and characterization. It felt a tiny bit modern in the writing, but that may be my judgement clouded by the BBC Sherlock.

Strangely, the show cross-fertilized the book in terms of my inability to read Lestrade in anything other than (BBC) Dimmock's voice. I think that perhaps the BBC cast is slightly askew from Doyle canon there in that Lestrade (BBC) is much less tentative, a stronger character with what seems to be a stronger backstory with Sherlock, where Dimmock captures the less capable "voice" Lestrade evidences in the books. There are also moments when this plot or certain dialog evokes the TV series (The Reichenbach Fall, I'm looking at you and the role the press plays in Sherlock's problem), but that may just be that they both are, after all, based upon the Doyle.

So, good expansion of the Sherlockverse, for anyone who wants a truly quintessential Victorian Holmes and Watson coming up against the baddest bad guy of that period's history.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dust and Shadow.