Jennifer's Reviews > The Angel's Game

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

F_50x66
Jun 25, 12

bookshelves: to-read

This book would have been more enjoyable without so many narrators. We are jumped from the eight characters so quickly and haphazardly that I never felt able to relax.
Richard asks his sister, Angela, to a week's vacation in the countryside. They bring their two families which may as well be strangers. The plot is entertaining, but very disjointed as we bump from one person's thoughts and experiences suddenly to the next.
Also, some of the British phrases and jokes were lost on this American reader. I usually love British literature, but for some reason lots of this writing was lost in translation for me.
There were some literary gems that did make the reading worth my while, however...sometimes Mark Haddon hit the nail on the head with his insights and descriptions.
I also liked his realism. Instead of tying up the end in neat closure, we get a sense of what will happen when the families return to their home routines...or maybe not. But that is true to life, right? Because relationships and problems cannot always be mended and solved in a week.
I liked the message of human trial and error.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Angel's Game.