MJ Nicholls's Reviews > Chicken with Plums

Chicken with Plums by Marjane Satrapi

Apr 08, 12

bookshelves: other-parts-of-the-universe, graphic-novels, distaff
Read on April 08, 2012

I saw the movie of Satrapi’s Persepolis and found it deeply irritating. But, being a pioneer in the graphic novel form—hell, a lone populiser of the form—I had to read something by her. This graphic novella (must I start a separate shelf for shorter graphic works?) is a melancholy folktale about a poor musician whose wife snaps his tar (like a sitar) in two. Finding no replacement for his prize instrument, he takes to his bed to die, where he reflects on his thwarted life—marrying the wrong woman, neglecting his only son, but mainly losing his tar. The question raised: if all great art is borne out of misery, who needs great art? Interesting A.L. Kennedy article about this in The Guardian recently. Anyway: very gloomy and very good. I will read Persepolis if someone twists both my arms.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chicken with Plums.

message 1: by Mariel (new)

Mariel I can see why it irritated you. She's a bit on the wrong side of narcissist at times, there.

message 2: by MJ (last edited Apr 08, 2012 12:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

MJ Nicholls The animation and voiceover didn't work for me, or at least it did for several minutes. Sean Penn really narked me. He usually does.

message 3: by Mariel (last edited Apr 08, 2012 12:40PM) (new)

Mariel Ok, so that's why it irritated me. (Projecting as usual, Mar.) The book is loads better. Less self centered in the only about me way not on the big screen?

I like the movie Penn made. The Indian Runner.

message 4: by MJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

MJ Nicholls So I shooooould read it . . . . . ? Or just cut Sean Penn some slack?

message 5: by Mariel (new)

Mariel It wouldn't hurt (it's not a personal fave of mine though).

message 6: by MJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

MJ Nicholls I found some of your recs at the library. I'll get stuck into those soon!

message 7: by Mariel (new)

Mariel Ooh yay! (I get too excited when someone reads my recs. I can count on one hand how often that's happened on Gr. I need to work on my persuasive skills.)

message 8: by MJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

MJ Nicholls I owe you several since you gallantly tried a few Sorrentinos.

message 9: by Mariel (new)

Mariel I'm about to start Mulligan, as it happens. It finally arrived in the mail yesterday.

message 10: by MJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

MJ Nicholls Great! Just remember to cut it some slack when it's being too listy.

message 11: by Mariel (new)

Mariel I used to be a list queen around here (a long time ago when I was more prolific on Gr).

message 12: by Tuck (new)

Tuck oh do read her persepolis 1 and 2. i didnt even know they MADE a movie of it. that sounds a bad idea just thinking about it. i am sure the books are better, but i am a bigot.

Edmund Davis-Quinn I personally love the movie, but adore the book Persepolis

message 14: by MJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

MJ Nicholls Persepolis is seemingly the go-to graphic novel everyone mentions, which makes me dubious of course.

message 15: by Tuck (new)

Tuck yes, on 2nd thought, fuck that bitch. try something good like from adam hines Duncan the Wonder Dog: Show One

message 16: by MJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

MJ Nicholls Tuck wrote: "yes, on 2nd thought, fuck that bitch."

Not quite the response I had in mind . . .

message 17: by Tuck (new)

Tuck hah, it was a joke (poor and in bad taste?) referring to a part of her story in "persepolis I and II " if you had read them, perhaps you would have gotten the joke/snide remark (another joke, i'm not very good at this so will stop, please stop tuck)
but really, duncan the wonder dog is very good

message 18: by MJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

MJ Nicholls Tuck wrote: "but really, duncan the wonder dog is very good "

You've been telling me that for years. One day I will listen.

Naeem Nedaee I reckon it's not so much the suffering than it's the 'loss' that adds to the passion, the pathos. I know that just because I have undergone losses/pain doesn't make me an artist. But, how could one not agree that passion is essential to great art - whatever form it may take?