Krissy's Reviews > Hannah

Hannah by Kathryn Lasky

Aug 09, 2016

bookshelves: my-favorites, young-adult, my-kids-favorites, historical-fiction, fantasy, middle-grades
Recommended to Krissy by: B&N
Recommended for: Young Adults and Adults
Read from April 01 to 08, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Never having read a novel about mermaids before I was quite sceptical of how I would feel about the story. To my surprise I loved the book! Lasky is a beautiful writer that left me reading through the night unable to put the book down.

The main character Hannah is 15 years old when the ophanage that she has called home fo all those years doesn't want to place her in a "suitable" job because the head lady, Mrs. Larkin feels Hannah is just "different", unable to handle working in a home or at a store. So Hannah is shipped off on a Ophan train headed for Kansas. As Hannah becomes further and further from the ocean the sicker she becomes.

Through a course of events, Hannah is sent back to Boston for work as a scullery girl for a family named The Hawley's.

Hannah's life becomes fasinating, I was on my toes at what was going to happen next. At all times I had no idea where the author was taking me. I loved that the storyline was not predictable!

There was only one thing I didn't like about the book. Hannah encounters Lila, the oldest of the Hawley daughters. Lila's character is darak, mean and selfish. Lila's relationship with her cat is just plain*weird*. Throughout the story I wish they would explain if the cat can sense something in Hannah, maybe thats why the cat hates Hannah so much. Also why the cat is trying to take a certain item from Hannah. That still seems a mystery to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hannah.

08/09 marked as: read