Emily's Reviews > The Good Dream

The Good Dream by Donna VanLiere

Apr 12, 12

Read from April 08 to 12, 2012

This book was truly enjoyable. She had me drawn in to the story of Ivorie from the very first page, and I was pleasantly surprised how it turned in to one of those - "I have to keep reading to find out what happens" - kind of book.
Realistically, I don't' think a boy living 8 years with the kind of background he did would be able to do so well, so quickly, but the eternal optimist in me loves the fact that this woman didn't give up. This boy finds a happy ending and someone to love him unconditionally. I loved the line "If there was ever beauty from ashes-he's it." I like to hope that people won't give up on loving children no matter what their problems and set backs are. I admire this woman's sacrifice.
This book was a sad story with a happy ending-my favorite type of ending.
One thing I thought could be improved, was with the chapters marked "The Boy." It seemed it was more narrative about the boy, instead of really taking on the dialogue and thoughts of the boy himself, as you saw in the chapters about Ivorie. Overall, however, this book was worth the read for a heartwarming story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good Dream.