Jodi Papazian's Reviews > The Secret Sisterhood of Heartbreakers

The Secret Sisterhood of Heartbreakers by Lynn Weingarten

Apr 10, 12

bookshelves: ya-reads
Read in April, 2012

This seems to be a book that people love or hate. I may be the lone voice that rides somewhere in the middle. There were parts of it that were a little corny and it was, at times, a bit predictable, but I appreciated the originality of the story line.
When Lucy's boyfriend breaks up with her on the first day of school, Olivia finds her crying in the bathroom. Olivia extends an invitation to Lucy to join her later that evening where she can help fix what is upsetting her so much. Turns out, Olivia and her two friends form the Secret Sisterhood of Heartbreakers. They are looking for a fourth to join their sisterhood and feel that Lucy is their ideal girl. These girls don't just break and mend broken hearts with their charm and good looks - they use magic, as well. Lucy is desperate to get some of their magic so that she can make Alex, her ex-boyfriend, fall back in love with her. However, after going through a rigorous process of proving her worth to Olivia and the gang, Lucy begins to wonder if she has it in her to be a heartbreaker.
This was a cute story that held my attention for the most part. Although Lucy was a bit annoying at times, she was endearing enough to make me care about what would happen to her. The ending felt very unfinished and I am wondering if Weingarten has set readers up for a sequel. I would definitely read more about Lucy and the rest of the Heartbreakers.
Due to some older content, this would be better suited to older YA readers. I think that girls who like both romance stories and paranormal themes will enjoy this story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Sisterhood of Heartbreakers.