Maree's Reviews > Black Heart

Black Heart by Holly Black

Apr 08, 2012

Read on April 07, 2012

This is the last book in a fun series set in an interesting world where some people have the talent for curse work, whether it be luck, physical, death, memory or the rare transformation worker. Of course, actually using these skills are illegal, so curse workers tend to hide their secret or flaunt it in working for one of the big crime families. Or, the Feds.

Cassel is caught between these two factions, wanting to do the right thing with the Feds, but drawn to a life with Lila, the girl he's loved since he was twelve. He has a lot of decisions to make.

The plot was fun with a little complexity that made it a lot better of a story - I totally saw where the Feds were going with their plan, so it was nice that others in the story recognized it too. The solution was quite smart and something I hadn't thought of, because it hadn't really dawned on me that it would work. Now, of course, I want them to play with that aspect a little more, but the series is over.

I was also hoping that they'd play with the politics of the workers and such a little more. The problem is by no means solved from the crime aspect - I feel like there's ample room for another book about just the politics, which was what I was the most interested. So I'm disappointed that didn't go further.

But the series is solid and a good read. Something I'd definitely let younger kids read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Heart.

Maija I'll read your review when I get my hands on the paperback version of the book (released 19th of April). Can't wait to read this book!

Maree I'll look forward to your thoughts! There were a lot of interesting things in it.

Maija I really enjoyed the book, and your review is fair. I'm more interested in the characters and their lives than the politics of the world, though, so the books were a good match for me. But it's true, the world is so interesting that I would definitely not be opposed to learning even more of it.