carol 's Reviews > Safeword Rainbow

Safeword Rainbow by Candace Blevins

6193301
Feb 24, 2013

bookshelves: bdsm, tpe, domination, masochist, sadism
Recommended to carol by: BDSM group on GR's
Recommended for: Adults/BDSM readers.
Read from February 01 to 24, 2013 — I own a copy , read count: Once

This is the first of Candace Blevins books that I've read, and i was looking forward to it having heard lots of good things from other BDSM group members; including regards this not being an easy read and definitely high into S&M, which, I have to concur, it surely is.
We start with Viv alias 'Katrina' and it quickly unfolds she is a professional, academic and career orientated woman and BDSM is her release valve, her pleasure pastime! and as so often happens her role is the opposite of her life and work...from precise and controlled she becomes the masochist needing pain to achieve her highest levels of pleasure and to give up control to her Doms...initially to Master James. Had that been me, wined! dined, sent to hell and ultimate heaven and realising you have fallen for this person and him for you. The way this section of the story ended I was quite devastated, here I thought it was heading for romance. Time collapse and into the future and the story seems to be heading into a CIA thriller but then fizzled out. Probably more true to to a real life situation, but I think I would have been tempted to give the newly introduced Tyler more of a hero's role had I been writing at this point.

Tyler enjoys Total Power Exchange, TPE.
He sees himself as Dom and wants a 24/7 masochist slave or slaves to enjoy sadistically and Be in control of all they do and are.
It is obvious Viv doesn't see or want this.
Much of the story not only deals with how much pain can be administered and taken by Viv, who still mostly finds high levels of pleasure for herself, eventually, but also the strong sadistic streak Tyler has and his pleasure in his administering and seeing pain in what he sees and wants as his property, Viv. Here I find I mostly enjoyed the story, though, reading about punishments administered at times made me uncomfortable...but I know I haven't those more extreme levels of need for masochistic pain and found some scenes difficult, especially the one where a Master James comes in as a specialist sadist. The only thing I felt comfortable with there, were the Maths problems that I shouted out the answers to, correctly I might add, much to the puzzlement of my OH who was napping at the time and the cat who
was snoring and jumped as I shouted aloud.
The ultimate decisions are whether people compatible in their BDSM kinks, can also have satisfactory work v home life v sex balance and if compromises of different needs can be made. I did like this and the end was apt.
I considered this for four and five stars. I'm opting for a good four stars.
The only thing lacking for me was more could have been made of the feelings and emotions as in showing more depth in how they feel and this transfers to the reader who will feel things along with the stories characters and our empathy and understanding is greater as opposed to telling us as is.
However, it is a good story and I look forward to reading more of Candace's books especially as this I understand is one of her earlier novels. I would recommend this to those who are into BDSM more than those who prefer erotica.
Generally good standard of English and edited. 4+ for me.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Safeword Rainbow.

02/23 page 75
49.0% "This is a definite serious S&M pleasure trip...bit beyond my reality comfort zone for sure."
04/28 marked as: read