Emmy's Reviews > Royal Street

Royal Street by Suzanne  Johnson

Apr 10, 12

bookshelves: arc-for-review
Read from April 08 to 10, 2012

Royal Street starts in New Orleans on Friday, August 26th, 2005, just days before Hurricane Katrina. This is where we meet Drusilla Jaco A.K.A. DJ on her current assignment as a junior wizard sentinel. The first two paragraphs were very promising...

A secluded Louisiana bayou. A sexy pirate. Seduction and deceit. My Friday afternoon had the making of a great romantic adventure, at least in theory.

In practice, angry mosquitos were using me for target practice, humidity had ruined any prayer of a good hair day, and the pirate in question - the infamous Jean Lafitte - was two hundred years old, armed, and carrying a six-pack of Paradise condoms in assorted fruit flavors.

In the supernatural community that Suzanne Johnson has created, some of the famous are undead and live in a world called the Beyond. As mentioned above, Jean Lafitte is a key character in this story. There truly was a French pirate in the early 19th century by this name even though the Wikipedia sketch looks nothing like how I picture him. *wink*

After DJ’s run-in with Lafitte, she meets up with the senior sentinel and her magical teacher Gerry. It’s decided that Gerry needs to stay in New Orleans through Katrina and DJ needs to evacuate. The disaster that is Katrina hits and DJ loses contact with him. She’s summoned by the Elders to return home to find any clues to explain his disappearance.

Entering stage left is one sexy man named Alex Warin, her new partner. Throughout the book they are searching for Gerry and investigating these ritualistic murders taking place. Not only are crazy voodoo murders happening, but a pattern emerges with strange symbols being left behind.

Another character with some page time is Jake. He is Alex’s cousin and has been helping out. There is attraction from all three men. I can’t really say that this story has a love triangle or even a love quadrangle, but they all have their positives and negatives.

One of my issues with this book is the pace. I was about halfway through before any major developments took place. I also didn’t really visualize D.J. with much magical ability. She has it but it kind of just felt stagnant. My imagination didn’t run wild and the descriptions didn’t give much ammo for visualization. Another issue is my attachment to characters. Although DJ is a strong female lead who likes to work independently, I really don’t get a good feel for her. The possible love interests have the same problem. Though likable enough, I’m not on “team anybody” at this point. I don’t feel strongly one way or another about any of them. Though the end of the book might have solved one angle, Suzanne could go anywhere with this.

What I liked about the book is the idea of the Beyond. How some people become immortal and the idea of different groups of Congress Wizards.

I give this a 3.5 out of 5. A 3 star for me is a “liked it” but it’s not necessary for me to read anymore in the series. The pace and lack of character attachment stop me from giving it a 4, however I am interested in reading more and I will definitely read River Road that will be released November 13th this year. I liked it enough and hope for more character development in the next book. The world-building is unique enough that I want to see where it goes from here.

ARC provided for Netgalley.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Royal Street.

04/09/2012 page 170
51.0% "Hmmm. Not a whole lot has happened yet. It's only now getting into the whodunnit and various clues. Love interest? Love trio or quad? Have no idea what's happening in the romance department."
04/09/2012 page 177
53.0% "Oh boy. DJ is playing poker with Alex and Jake. This will be fun to read!"