Lori's Reviews > Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

Quiet by Susan Cain

Apr 23, 12

Read from April 08 to 22, 2012

I'm really excited about all the works about introverts that's been coming out lately, I think mainly because of this book. I'm not sure if extroverts would have enjoyed this book as much as me, because Cain works hard to prove the merits and necessity of introverts in our society, while down-playing all the reasons why we should have an extrovert ideal. In fact, I think some extroverts would feel a bit offended at this book. But I don't care. I've lived my whole life feeling like there was something wrong with me. I need to speak up, get out there, sell myself, basically become something that I'm not. This book made me realize there's nothing wrong with me, and that I actually have strengths that my extroverted friends, relatives, etc., do not. Instead of constantly seeing myself as disadvantaged because I suck at small talk, don't know how to talk myself up in interviews, and am just a shy person, I just feel like I know myself better. I think teachers should read this book. And I'm going to stop, because this isn't so much as a book review as a blog post or something. This is a total self-help book for introverts. Thank you Cain!

**I should also say that Cain uses extensive research and interviews to show the strengths of introverts, so it's actually a pretty scientific book (though made so that it's easy for the every day person like me to understand). I was really surprised at the amount of research done on the differences between introverts and extroverts, especially because the research often shows introverts in a good, positive light, unlike what most people think when they hear the word introvert.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quiet.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Laura I completely agree that teachers should read this book!

Greg Yes, the end of the book made me think a lot about teachers as well as parents.