ariel's Reviews > You Deserve Nothing

You Deserve Nothing by Alexander Maksik

Apr 08, 12

Read in February, 2012

This book makes me worry about tenderness and the ways it can be, if not faked, then a kind of closed-loop gesture. That in providing someone tenderness, you are in fact quelling the questions you think they have before they have them, a kind of insurance policy that a person is satisfied, enacted out of fear more than love. The main characters are a young, cool teacher in an American high school in Paris and Marie, the best friend of one of his worst students. There is a lot in here about parents and some smart stuff on teenage girl sexuality - overall, the book doesn't ring wrong, per se, but it doesn't feel alright either -- that's why I needed to write about it. I forget how, but this guy has some relation to Alice Sebold of the Lovely Bones, and there are elements of dream and fantasy here, I wish there had been more because this is a book about what we don't know about ourselves, our desires, and other people. Especially when it comes to young women, there is a lot that we do not know, that society does not wish to know, and this book goes there, albeit in baby steps.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Deserve Nothing.