Mel's Reviews > The Gods of Mars

The Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Apr 08, 2012

bookshelves: 20th-century-fiction, pulp, scifi
Read in March, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 2

The Gods of Mars I must admit I loved a little less. Here there was much less world building and character building it was much more action based with John and his various companions almost always on the run. That said Burroughs did manage to build some suitably creepy aliens and some disturbing situations into this one, I love the idea that heaven is actually full of monsters who will devour you but if you escape and try to tell people you'll be killed for blasphamey. I think I was disappointed that Dejah Thoris and Sola were in the book so little. Thuvia when she was introduced was great. I liked that she was able to control the beasts, but was disappointed to see her replaced so quickly by Phaidor. I also liked that there was so much anti-racism in this book. The people who thought they were better because of their race were repeatedly proven wrong and misguided and those who were believed to have been hideous were shown to be courageous and noble. There was even one point where John talked about how beautiful the black skin of the Martians was and how it enhanced their beauty, which he admited sounded odd coming from a Confedorate solider. Actually the more I write about this the more I am liking the book. I really do enjoy Burroughs Mars series and definitely need to re-read them all.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gods of Mars.