Jane Stewart's Reviews > The Last Hellion

The Last Hellion by Loretta Chase

Apr 08, 12

bookshelves: historical-romance
Read in April, 2012

Weak 3 stars. This barely kept my interest.

This was written three years after Lord of Scoundrels (LOS) which I loved and gave 5 stars to. I was hoping this might be similar. The two main characters sounded similar. Lydia in this book is competent, smart, and not afraid of Vere. They have multiple spats. But the magic is not here the way it was in LOS. The LOS dialogue was witty and creative. But here the dialogue, events, and relationship felt too much like most other romance novels - nothing to set it apart. It was ok. The sex scenes were forgettable (I don’t remember them).

STORY BRIEF:
Lydia is a journalist and is the secret author of a novel with a chapter a week published in the newspaper. Her main enemy is Coralie who forces young girls into prostitution. Lydia frequently wears a disguise for investigative reporting. Vere follows her and rescues her more than once. He’s never had a relationship with a woman. Once he beds them he no longer wants them.

DATA:
Story length: 379 pages. Swearing language: mild, including religious swear words. Sexual language: none to mild. Number of sex scenes: 3. Estimated number of sex scene pages: 16. Setting: 1826 to 1828 England. Genre: historical romance.

OTHER BOOKS:
I have reviewed the following Loretta Chase books. Dates are copyright dates.
5 stars. Lord of Scoundrels. 1995
4 stars. Lord Perfect. 2006
3 stars. The Sandalwood Princess. 1990
3 stars. The Last Hellion. 1998
2 stars. Mr. Impossible. 2005
1 star. Your Scandalous Ways. 2008

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Hellion.