Kat's Reviews > Wanted: Dead or Undead

Wanted by Angela  Scott

Jun 24, 12

bookshelves: zombie, western, 2012-read, arc-review-complete
Read from June 03 to 10, 2012

When I saw this book was a zombie western romance, I was a little bit wary. I love zombies, but romance isn't my thing and I don't think I've ever read a western in my life. But I'm nothing if not adventurous, so I decided to give it a try, and I'm really glad that I did.

Told in alternating POVs of Red, a beautiful loner with a tragic past, and Trace (also known as Cowboy), who first encounters her in a wild west saloon, Wanted: Dead or Undead tells their story as they move through the country, looking for a safe haven from the zombie hordes. As their relationship moves from unwilling on Red's part, to friendship and finally love, picking up Wen and two children on their travels, Trace gradually discovers more about Red, and the secret she works so hard to hide.

I liked all the characters in this book, all are well drawn and likable, and it's impossible not to cheer for them as they make their way through some pretty hairy situations. And it's a very well written story - Angela Scott has a knack for making her words come alive on the page.

Probably my favourite part of the book, however, is Red and her secret. It's something I've seen only a few times before in zombie books and it's done exceedingly well here - but if you want to know more, you're going to have to read the book!

Although romance is really not big on my list of favourites, the romance between Trace and Red feels very natural and unforced - there's limited cheesiness and some pretty tender moments. I also enjoyed the Wild West setting - as I said earlier it's not something I've read before, but it does bring a whole new facet to zombie killing! Wanted: Dead or Undead is an enjoyable read, with some unique points, and I'll be definitely checking out the next book in the series!

Read more of my reviews at The Aussie Zombie

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wanted.