Londonmabel Mabel's Reviews > Panama: A Novel

Panama by Eric Zencey

Sep 19, 2012

bookshelves: 2own-fiction, f-thriller, read-before-2010, f-historical, f-mystery-adv, lit-criticism

What I took away from this book, what I loved about it, was that it finally helped me understand the modern arts. Throughout the book he shows how society was speeding up, becoming interconnected, and becoming fragmented. Which is exactly what artists like James Joyce and Virginia Woolf were responding to. This book got this idea through to me when Eng Lit classes couldn't.

Like The Name of the Rose, this is a book you should read for the literary meaning underlying it. And like Rose, it's a slow moving, slow building thriller. If you just read it for a page turning mystery, it's a fail. Read it if you're interested in turn of the century history and art.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Panama.

Sally I love that you shared that this novel helped you to better understand modern art. What a great connection to make.

I'm in the middle of the novel and have noticed there are so many references to new technologies (telephone, fingerprinting etc.), very specialized ways to connect and understand the world, but at the end of it all were are still dealing with murder, a very inhumane act.

Londonmabel Mabel Good point!