Lisa B.'s Reviews > The Sandcastle Girls

The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian

May 01, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-books
Read from April 08 to May 01, 2012

Whenever I hear that Chris Bohjalian has written a new book, I know that I must read it. I do not care what the subject matter is about. I don’t care what the title is, how many pages or what the book cover looks like. I just know that if is written by this author, I must read it.
I now find myself at the end of The Sandcastle Girls. I have only one thing to say: Good Golly Miss Molly! Why do I say this? The book was excellent.
I have mentioned before that history was never my thing in school. Even with that, I do not recall ever hearing about the Armenian genocide. To quote from the book “How do a million and a half people die with nobody knowing? You kill them in the middle of nowhere.”
Needless to say, this story is heartbreakingly sad. There are a very few snippets of happiness toward the end. In the hands of a different writer, I’m not sure I would have or could have read this book. But Mr. Bohjalian writes such an eloquent story that I could not put it down. When I wasn’t reading it, I was thinking about it. And even now that I have finished, the story has stayed with me. I have a feeling I will be thinking about it for a long time to come.
Thank you to Netgalley and Doubleday Publishing for allowing me to read this ARC in exchange for my unbiased review.
The publish date for the book is July 17, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sandcastle Girls.

message 1: by Becky (new)

Becky Ohhhh Lisa....thanks for this review. It sounds terribly wonderful. (I hate that bad things happen to make good stories!)

Lisa B. Becky - what a great way of saying it - horribly wonderful - that hits it right on the spot!