Melinda's Reviews > The Black God’s War: A Novella Introducing a new Epic Fantasy

The Black God’s War by Moses Siregar III

Apr 11, 12

bookshelves: epic-fantasy
Read from April 08 to 11, 2012

This was a good book. The story was original, the pacing and the plot were good and it didn't rehash any of the tired fantasy tropes. The only downside to the story is that in many places the characterization seems to be wafer-thin, almost stereotypical. We have a king who is a war monger at all costs, an evil general who will kill when his power is threatened, a spiritual prince who believes in peace - even the Gods get short shrift. Even the Black God of the title isn't fully explained until the last pages of the book. That said, there is enough of a story here - enough ideas, action and adventure, not to mention magic to make it a page turner from beginning to end. The juxtaposition of Western and Eastern based religions battling it out for the power to be right is an interesting concept. Though some subtle commonalities were included, something more substantial would be great. The concept for the book is a good one and the book ends gracefully , instead of some of the ruder cliffhanger endings that I have been reading lately. Most of the questions are answered and there is a definite wrap up before the book concludes. An extra star for that. With greater characterization this could easily be a 5 star book. There are very few people who are sure of themselves 100% of the time. If they are they tend to be driven or obsessed. Add a bit of gray into these characters - you won't be sorry.

All in all, I would definitely recommend this book to people who love fantasy. This looks like it has the makings of a fine fantasy series and I will be reading the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black God’s War.