Jason McNamara's Reviews > Commando: The Autobiography of Johnny Ramone

Commando by Johnny Ramone

Apr 07, 12

Right away Johnny Ramone wants you to be aware of an important fact about him. He's a fucking asshole. He makes a great point to detail why he's such a bastard and by the end of the book I'm ready to be one too. He talks about beating people up, throwing televisions off of roofs at people, robbing stores and reports with glee that a person who once ratted him out was hit and killed by a car. He also talks about beating up joey ramone because he was late to a movie. Johnny stresses punctuality a lot.

Written with the knowledge he's going to die, Johnny zips through a Ramones history we've yet to hear. Yes, he stole Joey's girlfriend. But that's life, they wanted to be together. Yes, he had to yell at everybody and make them go to work, but without him the Ramones would have caved early and not had the career they had. Yes, he's a capitalist who curses out punks who give him shit about driving a cadillac, his response is "fuck you, I wrote the book on being punk. If I say cadillac is punk, its punk. No, he wasn't Joey's friend but he didn't want to hurt him or see him in pain. And yes, he's a republican.

The strangest part of the book may be the inclusion of a christmas card Joey sent Johnny in 1990.

An interesting insight to a man I've never seen smile. The last chapter has a picture with him cuddling a kitten. Still not smiling.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Commando.