Joe's Reviews > World Without End

Aug 21, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: pleasura
Read in September, 2009

The much anticipated sequel. Its hard to describe what frustrates me so much about the book. Once again the characters were well introduced, the webs of relations interwoven, and life played on through a few decades. Follett does a nice job of building a historical experience in concrete ways. That's part of what I like so much. Yet, the first book gave a candid look at such holiness and such wickedness on the part of the characters. Given the scandal coming to light in the Church in 02, I think Follett used that as reason to add lots of scandal to his book. The result is that the balance of good and evil characters leans now to the negative, and leaves me feeling more icky than anything else. The same wicked characters are present, but there are no virtuous characters who inspire the reader with vision and hope. The main characters have a detached and individualistic attitude of getting by. I liked the characters, but I didn't really care about them.

Perhaps the best part of the book was reading a fictional telling of the plague.

If it wasn't a sequel then perhaps my experience would have been different. But following the first one, it seems like Follett has lost some hope in virtue, and I have no patience for that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World Without End.