Nathanael's Reviews > The Murder at the Vicarage

Jan 24, 2016

liked it
bookshelves: 2012, ebook
Read in April, 2012

Christie is still a master of the whodunit, but I prefer Poirot. This was my first Marple novel, discounting an earlier attempt at a different one (I forget which) that ended a few pages in. As usual, the plotting, characters, and pacing are superb, but I missed Poirot's flair. Miss Marple seemed like such a tame sleuth by comparison, sitting around waiting for others to do her detective work and piecing her theories together based on every juicy scrap of gossip she hears. Perhaps it was because of the Vicar's relatively bland narrative voice, but I failed to connect with Miss Marple in the way in which I connected with Hercule Poirot.

Maybe, if I didn't know that Miss Marple was the detective, it would have been more interesting to watch her appear and solve the case at the end, but with this "twist" (such as it may be) emblazoned on the cover, I ended up not caring whether Miss Marple solved the case. As often happens in Christie mysteries, I correctly guessed the killer in the middle but had no idea how the crime was pulled off. Miss Marple gave me no reason to enjoy watching the rest of the solution unravel. Sooner or later, though, I'll run out of Poirot stories, and maybe then Miss Marple will get her second chance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Murder at the Vicarage.