Stefan Yates's Reviews > The Hobbit: Or There and Back Again

bookshelves: favorites, fantasy
Recommended to Stefan by: My Dad
Recommended for: Everybody
Read from June 02 to 17, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 10

I received this beautiful 1966 leather-bound edition of The Hobbit as a result of winning a contest on author G.T. Denny's blog. I wanted to publicly thank him for such a wonderful prize which, of course inspired me to re-read the novel.

The Hobbit is a tale that I will always hold near and dear to my heart. My father first read it to me when I was around five years old and I have had a love of fantasy in my heart from that point forward. The time that we spent together journeying with Bilbo and Company in their quest to the Lonely Mountain is one of my treasured childhood memories and I cannot talk or think about Tolkien without bringing up fond images of my Dad.

Luckily, the story also holds to the test of time. It is a fast-paced, sometimes humorous, adventure story with an almost continual stream of action. The poor party seems to go from one peril to the next to the next in such rapid succession that it is truly one of those books that is almost impossible to put down for any significant span of time. The characters, especially dear old Bilbo, are lovingly crafted and presented to the reader in such a way that they become stamped into the memory for all time.

Truly one of the greatest stories of all time and forever one of my favorite books. If you haven't read The Hobbit, I cannot recommend it more highly to readers of all ages, levels, and interests. (And IF you haven't read it yet, I envy your fledgling journey into the magic lands of Middle-Earth!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hobbit.

06/03/2012 page 14