Sheryl's Reviews > The Taken

The Taken by Vicki Pettersson

Apr 13, 12

bookshelves: arcs, urban-fantasy
Read from April 07 to 13, 2012

I have never read Vicki Pettersson before but her "Sign of the Zodiac" series has been on my "to read" list for quite some time (I just have never gotten around to reading them). So, when an advanced reader's copy of the first book in her new series became available for me to read and review, I thought I'd give it a try. After finishing this book, I think I may be moving her other series up higher on my "to read" list. Despite the mixed reviews I have seen for this book, one thing I can definitely say for sure is that this author knows how to write well. Whether or not the characters or storyline are your "cup of tea" (and at the beginning of the book, I wasn't sure if they were for me), the quality of the writing in this book are top notch. It reads like the work of a seasoned author.

It took a me while to really get into this novel (to the point where I didn't want to put it down), but from the very beginning something about the writing and the characters drew me in. I just had the feeling that if I kept going, I wouldn't be let down. And I wasn't. The main characters are unique. Griffin Shaw, an ex-PI, died violently in the early 1960s and has spent the last 50 years or so as a Centurion (an angel who guides victims of violent deaths into the Everlast). Kit Craig is a dedicated reporter who lives a 1950s lifestyle (clothes, hair, car, etc.- a Rockabilly subculture) in a modern world. When Grif inadvertently changes "destiny" while trying to guide Kit's best friend and murder victim, Nicole Rockwell, to the other side, he is pushed back into mortal flesh to make sure that this new future plays out as it should. Unfortunately, this new future includes the death of Kit Craig, someone he finds both fascinating and frustrating. He teams up with Kit to find out who murdered her best friend and to help prevent her death. He also decides to take advantage of his new earthly existence and find out who murdered him and his wife back in 1960 (something that has been haunting him for 50 years). The case that unfolds as Grif and Kit investigate Nicole's death is dark, disturbing and very, very dangerous.

Both Griffin and Kit were multi-dimensional characters with a lot of depth. Griffin, in particular, is complex- emotionally torn between his past and his present as well as between his celestial and his mortal existence.

There is a lot going on in this book and not all of it is resolved (probably to be explored in future books in the series, if I had to guess). Despite this, the book did have a complete feel to it and did not really leave you hanging (which is a plus in my opinion). It did, however, leave me interested for future books, so kudos to Ms. Pettersson for that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Taken.

04/07/2012 page 54
04/09/2012 page 98
25.0% "This is an ARC I'm reading. I've never read this author before but she's a very good writer. The storyline hasn't quite sucked me in yet but I am still hoping it will. I'm enjoying it so far, just not loving it."
show 2 hidden updates…