Brad's Reviews > The Terror

The Terror by Dan Simmons

May 13, 11

bookshelves: simmons-is-a-deity, doing-the-dishes, exceeded-my-expectations, fascinating, horror, in-the-shower, macabre, madness, nautical, philosophical, queer-lit, serial-killer, historical, to-read-again
Recommended for: Deborah Wills
Read from August 03, 2010 to May 13, 2011, read count: 1

Is the Terror a mythical beast in the Arctic? The Tuunbaq?
Is the Terror Her Majesty’s Ship of the same name?
Is the Terror nights that never end?
Is the Terror a Ripper style murderer and his penchant for mutilation?
Is the Terror knowledge?
Is the Terror sodomy?
Is the Terror a silent Esqimaux?
Is the Terror scurvy?
Is the Terror unrelenting ice floes?
Is the Terror belief?
Is the Terror remembrance?
Is the Terror dreams?
Is the Terror the past?
Is the Terror cannibalism?
Is the Terror doubt?
Is the Terror hope?
Is the Terror ignorance?
Is the Terror magic?
Is the Terror misunderstanding?
Is the Terror fire?
Is the Terror interminable cycles?
Is the Terror hubris?
Is the Terror hate?
Is the Terror capitalism?
Is the Terror “civilization”?
Is the Terror humanity?
Is the Terror the unknown?
Is the Terror failure?
Is the Terror duty?
Is the Terror ego?
Is the Terror alcohol?
Is the Terror visions and hallucinations?
Is the Terror death?
Is the Terror suffering?
Is the Terror starvation?
Is the Terror ice?
Is the Terror morality?
Is the Terror shame?
Is the Terror foolishness?
Is the Terror delusion?
Is the Terror love?
Is the Terror life?
Is the Terror solitude?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Terror.

04/28/2011 page 47
6.0% "How cool! This is actually scary."
05/06/2011 page 427
54.0% "Impressive."
05/13/2011 page 781
100.0% "So close, but I can't seem to find the quiet I desire to finish the last three pages."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

♥Xeni♥ My first thought is: how do you find books you don't mind getting wet in the shower?? (or does that shelf name mean something else?)

Brad No, that's what it means. I am usually able to keep most books dry, although I did nail the water with a blast of water while I was shaving and reading in the shower (yes, at the same time). I used to be so anal with my books, treating them like eggs, doing everything I could not to break the spine or blemish them in any way, then we had twins, and I discovered that if I didn't let book damage go I was going to have an aneurism. So I did, and I feel so much freer now. I can read anything literally anywhere.

message 3: by Joel (new) - added it

Joel i've had this for over a year, waiting for the moment it calls out to be read. i was thinking it might be a good one to take on vacation.

message 4: by Brad (last edited May 13, 2011 06:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brad Are you going somewhere warm, or are you heading north?

message 5: by Joel (new) - added it

Joel Warm hopefully.

Brad It might be a perfect contrast then. It is very slow, though.

I have to say, however, that I've never read anything with a pace this slow that kept me so riveted. I stayed up until 4am three nights in a row to keep reading (I may not have done this if I could have concentrated during daylight hours on anything but my kids), despite the slow pace. That pace is intentional, for sure. It is a reflection of the ice floes that have the men trapped, and the story circles over and over the narrative the way the twin ships spin around each other in the ice. I hope you like it, Joel.

message 7: by Joel (new) - added it

Joel i picked it up after the a.v. club named it among the best books of 2000-2010, so you aren't alone in your praise.

mark monday wow! such an awesome review. one of the rare ones that make me a little jealous that i didn't write one in this style first. if you eventually read a review of mine that looks rather familiar...please, don't notice the haunting similarity!

Brad Thanks, mark. I'm honoured. I'm looking forward to that review of haunting similarity.

Helen (Helena/Nell) Ho! Review as an art form: you read it from Brad here.

message 11: by Brad (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brad Wow! That's a great compliment, Nell. Thanks.