Andrea's Reviews > Angelina's Bachelors: A Novel with Food

Apr 07, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: read-2012
Read in April, 2012

A fun read, one that even as certain things bothered me I felt compelled to keep reading during any free time.

The things that bothered me: it says explicitly on the front cover that it is "A Novel, with Food," and food plays a really significant role in the storyline, but man I got kind of tired it after a while. Really, don't read this if you're not at all interested in food. Each meal is described - the ingredients, the process, etc, and then characters comment on each meal, and then after everyone is finished there is an actual recipe. So every meal is covered at least twice, sometimes three times. Also, many of the recipes occur mid-chapter, and thus mid-action, which I felt was awkward (she leaves the kitchen - recipe - she goes upstairs)

The other thing that bothered me is that Angelina is treated as an Old Maid - a woman who missed her first round of opportunities, who sadly didn't have kids during her marriage and is now alone without any, etc. But I did the math, and I think she's just in her early 30's. So, really? I'm nearly 30 and I don't feel nearly so out of time as everyone seems to think Angelina is. Although, who knows in what decade this is set?

Anyway, clearly some complaints, but overall it is an enjoyable easy read, comfortable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelina's Bachelors.