Kari's Reviews > Haven

Apr 07, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: reviewed-books
Read in April, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Haven has some action, mystery, and romance (a.k.a. teenage hormones gone wild) all wrapped in one package. Kristi Cook put a lot of thought into the bigger events throughout the book and you can tell she had an overall idea of how she wanted the story to resolve, but I felt as though the passage of time was a little awkward and often left me feeling like I must have skipped some pages when reading. Learning more about Aiden's past and Violet's future was intriguing, but Aiden ran so hot and cold that you could never be sure what his true feelings were, and Violet just came across as stubborn, temperamental and a bit immature. We get forced to accept that the characters grow to know each other well, though I never really got the impression Violet spent a ton of time with her friends, and she seems to know so little about Aiden given the amount of time they spend together. I would assume they were spending all of their time making out, but Aiden always seems to push her away whenever we see them start to get close to each other.

I did, however, enjoy Aiden's scientific explanation to his own strange abilities. It definitely made him seem a little cute and nerdy when he went off on tangents, and cute and nerdy happen to be my favorite kind of guys! It was sweet to watch Violet let him ramble on and get himself worked up about something he loved so much.

Over all I found Haven to be entertaining, but it really doesn't have a place on my shelf. Maybe I've just read too many books that fall into this genre. And who knows, maybe the sequel will be better. Kristi Cook has certainly created an interesting world with a bunch of opportunities to grow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Haven.