Chauntika's Reviews > City of Ghosts

Apr 26, 12

bookshelves: blew-me-away, adult, 2012, adult-urban-fantasy, downside-ghosts
Read from April 07 to 08, 2012

5 Stars-Blew Me Away!

Cross posted on my blog:

Man. Oh. Man. City of Ghosts has officially cemented me as a fan of this series.

We finally see Chess attempt to make better decisions. She is heartbroken from the consequences of what was revealed in Unholy Magic, and she desperately misses Terrible, the only friend she has ever had. Terrible spends most of this book very angry with Chess. He doesn’t trust her anymore, and he is truly hurt. Chess wants to make everything better, but she doesn’t know how to get through to him. When they come together, it is explosive.

The emotional journey Kane takes you through in this book is gut wrenching. The scene in the tunnel. OMG. I felt everything. I was totally there with Chess. Kane does an amazing job. You are right there with Chess. You want to reach out and comfort her.

As far as the case Chess is working on, it is bigger than her usual debunking cases. Because of her recent successful cases, Chess is assigned to work with a member of the Black Squad, the Church’s “police” force. The case involves mutilated bodies found in Downside, which are suspected to be the work of the Lamaru. I didn’t figure out the twist until right before it was revealed, so the mystery was very well done. We also finally get to see the creepy City of Eternity.

But the case really took a backseat for me in this one. For me, this book was more about Chess and Terrible’s relationship. And whether or not they would get together, and work things out. The emotional tension in this was amazing. Such a good job.

I think this is going on my favorite series list. SO ADDICTIVE. And these books are very cinematic. I think they would make excellent films. I would definitely go see them on the big screen.

If you haven’t given this series a try, or you gave up with the first book, please continue to read. Each book gets better and better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Ghosts.

04/08/2012 page 244
60.0% "OMG. The tunnel. This one is so good."