Darlene's Reviews > Lacrimosa

Lacrimosa by Christine Fonseca

Apr 22, 2012

bookshelves: kindle, kindle-books-i-own, lending-enabled, angels, fantasy, mythology, paranormal, paranormal-romance, young-adult, complimentary-copy
Recommended to Darlene by: Heather McCorkle, thank you!
Recommended for: Yvensong, S. Michele, Cher-lynn Maynard
Read from April 17 to 22, 2012 , read count: Once but may read it again.

This is such a quick paced and exciting book that I had to declare, early into reading it, that it couldn’t be my night-time book. The subject matter of Angels, good versus evil and the grey in between, is disturbing in itself, but Ms. Fonseca’s style of writing keeps the action immediate, in-your-face. AND, there is the internal dialogue the main characters go through while trying to bring about a greater good.

The characters were strong and likable, unless they were meant not to be. The evil ones were, evil! The plot with or without the prequel, Dies Irae, held together in this, I hope, growing series of Requiem. Oh, and if you are not Catholic (I’m not), nor a music major (I am. Thank you, Prof. Laura Hemenway), the story is still accessible. To enrich the experience, take the time to Google these terms. The titles reflect the angst within the books.

But LOVE is the emotion that pulls the reader. Yes, there is romantic love, but that isn’t to the sickening extent as true romance books go. The love for fellow humans is there, also.

My complaint is that the angst often reflected itself, became redundant. What I wanted, when I read how much the two main characters loved each other but couldn’t follow through due to Angel rules, was more history. Why did they love each other so much? I know the time to present their original meeting and growth of their relationships would have slowed the book down. I give kudos to Ms. Fonseca for not getting bogged down. And maybe a deeper story can come out separately of more origins of the relationships.

The topic at hand, Angels, makes writing fiction that isn’t doctrine or didactic problematic. There are so many people who are “Angel experts.” I can see those coming forward and arguing that certain Archangels wouldn’t act this way or that. Since I am not one of those experts, I have dabbled in reading the occasional Angel book, so the story remains a fantasy full of conflicting and human emotion that may or may not be following ‘mere guidelines’ (sorry, my inner pirate came out there). But speaking of the angst, I loved the tools the author used to reflect inner conflict, the kind we all go through. Thought patterns, in real life, are seldom grammatically correct, full sentences, but rather fragments fighting for top billing. Cool tool, Christine!

I’m looking forward to more from Christine Fonseca.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lacrimosa.

04/21/2012
21.0% "I find that this can't be read before sleep. Nightmares attack. But it can keep me from napping during boring moments in my real life. Very energizing!"

Christine Fonseca So thrilled that you enjoyed the story! I am releasing the short Mea Culpa (Requiem Series, #1.5). by Christine Fonseca in a few days. If you would like your FREE copy early, click here and complete the form. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/v...

Darlene Thank you!