Tricia's Reviews > Ultraviolet

Ultraviolet by R.J. Anderson

Feb 21, 15

bookshelves: 2nd-fav-list
Read in April, 2012

So, this book has been popping up on my recommendation list for a while now. I decided to crack it open and see what was so good about, all these good reviews are just so ... motivating I guess.

I am so glad I chose to read this book. I love it, because it touches so close to home...[START SELF RANT/EXPLANATION]as my family is plagued with some of mental illnesses described in this book–my mother and one of my siblings have attempted suicide before (several times), the same two are diagnosed as having bipolar I and schizophrenia. And if that isn't enough my poor little brother, after concocting a blood disease called septicemia was forced to stay in a mental health institution against his will since he was hallucinating. But, they diagnosed him as having the "bipolar I disease" since–well my mother has the disease. In actuality during a surgery he had after crash he was involved in, he suffered from asphyxiation. So, once his brain recovered, he was back to as normal as he would get. He is not the same person, I have accepted that mostly. [/END SELF RANT/EXPLANATION] This novel kept me reading, my heart heavy, hoping Ali would be free and that everything would be solved for her, and tied up in a perfect bow. It wasn't, but again that's life and you have to learn to accept it.

Reading this story from Ali's perspective was harsh and real but also invigorating. The author did an excellent job with descriptions. Everything was so vivid I was pulled in and read the story in one sitting. The love story was a nice touch too. ;)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ultraviolet.