rameau's Reviews > Something About You

Something About You by Julie James

This is not a fair rating. I do try to rate evenly independent of genre and solely based on my enjoyment of a novel, but that doesn't always happen. Sometimes I come across writing of a quality that in itself raises my expectations for an author and I end up being much harsher on them than I would otherwise. Those authors–debut or not–must deliver in order to earn their stars. The last time I can remember having this particular problem was when I read and reviewed Proof of Seduction by Courtney Milan.

It looks like Julie James is going to be one of those authors.

Unlike Milan, James writes contemporary romance and about lawyers especially. The very first chapter of Something About You set my expectations high and for a while it looked like James would deliver. Her writing flows easily and the dialogue is witty. Her characters act like levelheaded adults would in real situations and there aren't any manufactured obstacles for their star-crossed romance. There is a misunderstanding, but it's years old and the reasons for it are understandable. There also appears to be a plot.

I admit I was a bit miffed for not getting to play the guessing game of a whodunnit mystery, but that didn't lower the rating from a solid four stars to a three. Several small beginner's mistakes did.

First of all, I didn't really think the killer's point of view added anything to the story. I think James might have been underestimating her skills as a mystery novelist, but I respect her for choosing not to go down that road. At least she decided to stick with third person limited instead of switching between a first person voice narrative and third limited. The horrors I've read.

I was also disappointed with the secondary culprit, the so called leak, because (view spoiler). This plot point lead to a little too neat bow being tied of those plot threads in the end.

The whiff of repetition. Occasionally James succumbed to writing scenes where a flavour of the month joke or plot point was beaten to death like the famous horse. In someone else's writing, I doubt I would have noticed these things, but as I mentioned before, Julie James has the questionable honour of my great expectations.

The floundering sex scenes. There are very few people who can write smut that I deem acceptable let alone good. I know I might be asking too much from a starting author, but if Courtney Milan can deliver so can Julie James, with a little practice.

If I made a habit of adding people on my favourite author's list having read only one of their books, Julie James would be there with Milan and Marchetta. Alas, she'll have to wait until I've caught up with the rest of her works.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something About You.

04/07/2012
8.0% "Seeing as I'm actually enjoying this so far, I'm going to forgive those descriptions, which are bad. So very badly done."
04/07/2012
23.0% "I have a theory about the murder and murderer. If I'm right, it's a good thing I'm reading a romance novel." 12 comments
04/08/2012
47.0% "Dammit. I was hoping this would not happen."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) OMG, "inappropriate erections" whyyyyy is that a bookshelf of yours?

rameau Alicia wrote: "OMG, "inappropriate erections" whyyyyy is that a bookshelf of yours?"

Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) rameau wrote: "For this book? Because he was still on the job protecting her while they started sexing. In general? Because apparently the only way romance author's know how to indicate a man's interest in a woman is to comment on the status of his erection. When those erections start interfering with the plot or are simply poorly timed (she's trying to discuss a life or death matter, or is seriously sic, etc) there's a shelf for it."

The whole idea of a shelf named that is hilarious to me. You're right though, it's an interesting categorization.

rameau Damn apostrophes.

I created it for this review (the author commented, yay.), but I can't seem to recall the exact scene I created it for. I just remembered thinking that was an inappropriate time to have an erection and even more inappropriate for the author to mention it. The heroine was either throwing a hissy fit, crying, or trying to talk to him about his immortality.

Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) Ugh, her second comment was so obnoxiously awkward and she rated her book five stars.

I agree, there are plenty that are mentioned randomly and inappropriately. I also hate the books where that truly is the only way the author conveys that a man likes a woman.