Renee's Reviews > Witches: Wicked, Wild & Wonderful

Witches by Paula Guran

Apr 07, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: scifi-fantasy, anthology, magic, witches-shapeshifters-monsters
Read in April, 2012

This was a fairly good anthology. But like all anthologies some of the stories were hit and miss. My favorites were: Walpurgis Afternoon,which focused on animals and gardening and the witches were lesbians, quite creative. Lessons with Miss Gray had an odd way of telling the story, but the characters were vivid and the magic, ridiculous, in a good way. However the ending made it seem like there should be another story. The World is Cruel, My Daughter was Rapunzel from the witch's point of view and disturbing in an almost erotic way, while Bloodlines focused on hereditary Hispanic magic and women who pass it down a generation at a time. Skin Deep brought magic to a whole other level with a witch who puts on "skins" to do tasks around her farm.

Some like the Way Wind and Poor Little Saturday I could just not get in to, while others like The Only Way to Fly tried to cram too much info and story into not enough word count.

The most disappointing, however, was the Neil Gaiman story. Which was seriously just an excerpt from his book "The Grave Yard Book" in where Bod meets the witch Liza and gets her a headstone. Honestly just read the full novel it was awesome.

So all in all, not a bad read, pretty standard for an anthology.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Witches.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Jonathan Grimm Are there any other witch anthology's out their you would recommend? I have this one and agree with your review. Thanks.