Katy's Reviews > Croak

Croak by Gina Damico

Apr 07, 12

Read on April 07, 2012

Five stars for the first half and three for the second half. This book started out really great. The writing was very bizarre but clever, and the dialogue was hilarious. Whereas some characters with an attitude are written to be irritating, I found myself loving Lex's spunk. She was a hoot, and I found myself laughing out loud on a number of occasions. Here's a sampler of the person Lex is.
(view spoiler)

Somewhere along the way though, the book stopped being so funny, and I didn't find myself loving it quite as much as I did at first. Still, I really liked the story and Damico's attempt at writing something a bit different. I had a hunch who the villan was going to be early on, and my suspicions were confirmed a bit later when I thought he/she was acting awfully fishy by pretending to be so helpful. But Damico did throw in a few surprises here and there, and I definitely hadn't expected the last victim.

I liked the way the story unfolded, how Lex's rebellion at the beginning evolved as she matured and learned to appreciate the good things she has. The concept of reapers is not totally unique, but it isn't as played out in the young adult genre, and I like Damico's spin on it. I liked the world she has created, and I liked that unlike most young adult books, you don't have your typical cliques and cliche characters - even the mean girl wasn't a snobby witch. So you're left concentrating more on the story than the dramas of teen life.

This story was very entertaining, and I'm curious to know what happens next.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Croak.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ornella (Nyx) If you think that is strange writing, wait till you read Above lol.

Katy LOL, okay, I'll check it out next.

Yeah, I'm only on Chapter 5, and I'm finding the writing a bit bizarre, but it's cracking me up.

Ornella (Nyx) Yup, one of the reasons I liked it so much.