Joella www.cinjoella.com's Reviews > The Influencing Machine: Brooke Gladstone on the Media

The Influencing Machine by Brooke Gladstone

Apr 30, 12

bookshelves: yalsa-best-of-the-best, graphic-novel, non-fiction, books-for-grownups
Read from April 26 to 28, 2012

This was book 8 for the YALSA Best Books challenge. And yet again it has taken me awhile to write what I thought about it. I think this book has so much information and so many ideas, it just takes time to thoroughly think through everything and digest it all.

So this is a book about media and how it influences (thus the name of the book) the world. It starts from the very basic history about how people learned "news" clear back in the day when ancient civilizations "wrote" things down. Then it goes through various bits of history up until now with information, facts, quotes, and whatnot that shaped or impacted the media that we have now. And since it is a graphic novel, it goes without saying that there are a lot of pictures to assist in conveying the ideas.

I liked it. I enjoyed it being a non-fiction graphic novel. I liked seeing all the ways that information and rights were connected. The illustrations were great. I especially loved seeing the Brooke Gladstone character in all the historical scenes. It made me smile. The thing about this book is that there was so much to digest, I think I will have to read it again in order to wrap my head around it all. If anyone needs proof that graphic novels aren't for sissy readers, they should be introduced to this book.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Influencing Machine.