Joella www.cinjoella.com's Reviews > A Bride's Story, Vol. 1

A Bride's Story, Vol. 1 by Kaoru Mori

Apr 16, 12

bookshelves: yalsa-best-of-the-best, graphic-novel, young-adult
Read on April 11, 2012

This is book number 3 for YALSA's Best Books challenge. This is also my first manga/graphic novel for the year. I don't tend to love manga or graphic novels (there are some I really do, but over all I tend to not love them). But I thought that perhaps I would love them more if I picked the books that are part of the YALSA Top Ten for Great Graphic Novels for Teens. So I decided to give this manga a try.

Amir Halgal is a young 20-year-old bride from a nomadic tribe in historic Central Asia. At the beginning of the book she is married to a 12-year-old boy. As is the custom she leaves her family and settles into a new life with her husband's family. Of course there is a conflict in that her family has some sort of hidden agenda and demand that she go back home with them. She actually isn't even there at the time (not to mention that her new family loves her so much they couldn't stand the thought of her leaving) so she stays. But I'm sure that there is going to be some major conflict with this plot line in future volumes.

So I liked this book. I liked the strong character. I liked how she dealt with the odd situation (who would want to marry a 12-year-old when you were 20?). I like learning about a place and a time I knew little about. I enjoyed most of the illustrations. I liked the pacing and the plot. There was only one thing that I didn't like (and this is the main thing that I personally don't like about a lot of manga and graphic novels these days). There were three frames that didn't have enough clothing. I know that a lot of manga has nudity. This was tasteful as far as it went. But it was still there. I don't tend to like it. It is my preference not to read things with nudity, which is why I don't tend to read a lot of manga. I even talked to some of the teens here at the library and they told me that if I couldn't stand three frames without clothing then they had better make sure they tell me what manga to read because most of it "has a whole lot more. That is pretty tame." I will say that my library does have this in the adult graphic novels section, but I am reading this for the YALSA Best Books challenge. So good book except for the three frames. I am now conflicted about the rest of the series. I want to know what happens, but I'm not sure that it will be so tame or so tasteful when next the character takes off her clothes. Perhaps I will just have to ask my teens what they think about the other volumes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Bride's Story, Vol. 1.