Kim's Reviews > Caucasia

Caucasia by Danzy Senna

Aug 05, 07

bookshelves: fiction
Read in August, 2007

I loved this book. It covers an interesting territory of ideas like class, race, the idea of 'passing' - both forced and unforced, conformity, and connection among other interesting topics. It's basically a coming-of-age novel that touches on these political and social themes through the eyes of a bi-racial girl without being annoyingly preachy/self-righteous, dry, or boring. I think the author writes about these issues very gracefully and yet is always very real. There's a sense that the main character is almost like a reporter in the trenches...only she's a very sensitive and perceptive reporter in the midst of a politically radical and multi-racial family in Boston in the '70s. The author does a great job at creating strong, multi-dimensional characters with both strengths and weaknesses that most people can relate to, at least on some level. I think the only issue I had with this book was the ending. I may have been hoping for loose ends to be tied up a little more and maybe that's just my personal preference, but I got the feeling that the author kind of got a little too loose towards the end. In the end, though, I still highly recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caucasia.