Rachel's Reviews > I'd Know You Anywhere

Apr 07, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012
Read in February, 2012

I took my first cruise in February 2012, and I had to take the opportunity to utilize the ship's library. That's how I came across this book by Laura Lippman.

The premise really intrigued me. Eliza Benedict is kidnapped as a teenager is able to escape from her captor who is ultimately arrested for kidnapping and murdering other teenage girls. She grows up, gets married and has kids, and doesn't share this part of her past with her family. Everything changes when her captor, Walter Bowman, sees her photograph in a magazine and decides to reach out to her. He's now on death row, and says she has information that will save him from death. Admittedly, all of this described on the dust jacket had me intrigued.

I've become fond of authors using chapters as opportunities to move back and forth in time. Lippman utilizes this strategy to uncover the truth behind Walter's kidnappings, Eliza's own kidnapping experience, and the present-day interaction between these two characters at a critical time in Walter's soon-to-be-ended life. The intrigue of what Eliza may not have told authorities, or a memory that she buried in her subconscious, held my interest as I read this book throughout the week-long cruise.

However, I was left a little disappointed by the "big reveal" as to how Eliza could save Walter's life. It was more of a mind manipulation than truly unrevealed evidence, which wasn't completely satisfying to me. Despite this, I definitely think I would consider reading another of Lippman's novels if one caught my eye at the library.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'd Know You Anywhere.