Lynn's Reviews > Betrayal

Betrayal by Danielle Steel

Apr 14, 12

Read from April 07 to 14, 2012

This is probably the lowest rating I've ever given to a Danielle Steel book, and I've read every book that she's ever written - I've been reading her books for over 30 years.

The story was engaging, the lead character was likable, but the entire premise was unrealistic. That anybody smart enough to be this successful would be so gullible and BLIND to what was going on was far-fetched. This isn't my main gripe with the book, though. My main gripe is that this 320-page story could have been told in 100 pages, if not for all the repetition. I used to believe that Danielle did this for emphasis - saying the exact same thing a different way two sentences later. Now, I'm wondering if she does it to fill pages, because this book had SO much repetition that it became painful. I'll give you an example (but not an actual one from the book):

"She was just extremely tired. made some dinner and flopped down on the sofa, feeling completely wrung-out. She turned on the television, but she was just exhausted."

We get the picture, Danielle, she was TIRED. The way I wrote that isn't even as glaring as what she does throughout this book, though. It really takes away from my enjoyment of the story, and I wish she'd keep it to a minimum, if she feels the need to repeat herself.
11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Betrayal.

Katie My thoughts exactly. Well said.

Shannon I was also aggravated by how many times the word "and" was overused, creating run-on sentences and incomplete sentences. I completely agree with your review.

Khalisha I noticed this too, but I just took it for emphasis being made. Some stuff was repetitive that lets you KNOW what was gonna happen next, like how she kept saying how Bridget was so reliable and so anal about Tallie's money...and then you get the clue...but when the thought you had about what was going to happen...happens, there was always a little extra to it.